Asset managers have a unique and critical role to play in the transition to global net zero emissions. We look forward to building partnerships both with our asset owner clients, and with the companies we invest in, to move together on the journey to making this a long-term shared goal.
Kristi Mitchem, CEO, BMO Global Asset Management
Principles for action
Principle 1: Focus on real-world emissions reductions
Principle 2: Work in partnership with clients
Principle 3: Transparency
- Portfolio-level targets for emissions reductions, consistent with a fair share of a 50% cut in global emissions by 2030, and net zero by 2050
- Analysis of underlying assets (companies, countries or other assets) on a forward-looking basis, to understand whether these are on a trajectory consistent with the net zero transition
- Investment in solutions – recognising that as we decarbonise the emissions-intensive economy, we need a huge scaling up in finance for green activities
Such analysis is complex, and the data challenges are considerable. But the work of organisations such as the Transition Pathway Initiative, the Science-based Targets Initiative, and the Climate Action 100+ initiative in its recent benchmark report are all examples of this more nuanced approach.
Our collective responsibility is to ensure that a better future is not only possible but probable, and then not only probable but foreseeable.
Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac, The Future we Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis, 2020
COP26 and beyond
- Les rentes viagères différées à un âge avancé seront permises dans le cadre d’un régime enregistré d’épargne-retraite (REER), d’un fonds enregistré de revenu de retraite (FERR), d’un régime de participation différée aux bénéfices (RPDB), d’un régime de pension agréé collectif (RPAC) ou d’un régime de pension agréé (RPA) à cotisations déterminées; et
- BMO Global Asset Management is a brand name that comprises BMO Asset Management Inc., BMO Investments Inc., BMO Asset Management Corp., BMO Asset Management Limited and BMO’s specialized investment management firms.
- ®/™Registered trade-marks/trade-mark of Bank of Montreal, used under licence.
- Views and opinions have been arrived at by BMO Global Asset Management and should not be considered to be a recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell any companies that may be mentioned.