BMO’s Global Privacy Principles
BMO Global Asset Management appreciates the opportunity to help you meet your financial needs. From the day Bank of Montreal was founded in 1817, earning and keeping your trust has been at the very core of our business.
We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information you have entrusted to us. It is important for you to understand what personal information we will collect, how we will use it, and who may see it. At BMO, our Global Privacy Principles apply to all of our dealings with you and the personal information that entities share with us:
- We have policies and procedures governing how we deal with Personal Information. The Chief Privacy Officer oversees privacy governance.
- Identifying Purposes
- We inform you about the purposes for which we collect, use, and disclose your personal information.
- We obtain your consent, to the extent required by law, to collect, use, or disclose personal information. In some cases, we may not be able to provide a service to you if you do not consent to our collecting, using, or disclosing the required information to perform that service.
- Limiting Collection
- We generally limit collecting personal information to information necessary for our identified purposes. Privacy regulations allow for collecting personal information without consent in certain circumstances which vary based on the regulations that apply to a particular legal entity.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- We limit use of or disclose personal information only for the purposes for which we collected it, except if you give consent for other uses or the law requires otherwise. Legal, regulatory and operational requirements together determine how long we keep our records.
- We maintain personal information in as accurate, complete, and up to date form as is needed for our use.
- We maintain appropriate safeguards to protect personal information against loss and theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
- We are open about how we manage personal information. We make our privacy notices and codes readily available.
- Individual Access
- You may request to access your personal information and we will respond to the extent the law requires it.
- Challenging Compliance
- You can challenge our compliance with the above principles.
Our privacy codes that provide that information vary by region and are available below.
Feel free to contact the privacy officer named in the privacy code covering your jurisdiction about that privacy code. Also, we sometimes modify these privacy codes, so please check here periodically for any updates.