Writing about the award win, Global Investor Group said that:
BMO Global Asset Management says that its commitment to fiduciary clients is simple: manage complexity, deliver clarity. The company has adopted this position because it believes the job of a pension scheme trustee is now more difficult than ever before.
And BMO has shown that its approach to fiduciary management can make a real difference to performance by adopting a flexible approach for different clients whether for full fiduciary management or for implementation-only mandates. BMO currently has over 150 fiduciary clients with an established record of tailoring solutions for clients of all sizes. BMO’s key attributes are as follows:
- Asset Management heritage – BMO has been managing money for almost 150 years through all market cycles, standing the test of time.
- Access to best of breed third party managers – BMO is truly open architecture and has huge breadth and experience, managing almost £40bn in third party managers globally from a research team of over 40.
- Expertise in understanding liabilities – For almost 15 years BMO has been operating a UK LDI business and traded the first UK LDI swap trade in 2003.
- ESG is now increasingly important and BMO has been in this area for over 30 years with one of the largest teams in Europe.
- Fiduciary management experience – approximately half of BMO’s global assets under management are in its ‘solutions’ business represented by about £30bn in multi-asset, about £30bn in LDI solutions and about £40bn in third party multi-managers.
- BMO is committed to integrating ESG factors into its investment processes. The BMO fiduciary business has worked with its Responsible Investment team to implement ESG considerations into mandates.
- LDI – following the successful reshaping of its pooled fund offering, BMO launched several innovative new products that fitted the needs and demands of clients.
BMO said it has designed a comprehensive solution that has enabled clients to achieve their goals of enhancing policyholder value for money through added sources of investment returns, lower costs and improved capital and operational efficiency.’