“Responsible Investing is a significant and long-term commitment for BMO, with responsible finance being at the heart of what we do as a company. The BMO Responsible Global Emerging Market Equity strategy is aligned to our long-term commitments for a thriving economy, sustainable future and an inclusive society.”
“For over 35 years we have seen continued demand from clients who want the values that they hold dear expressed through their investments. Through our strict voting policies and engagement with the companies we invest in, we seek to drive targeted improvement on how companies address ESG risks, opportunities and impacts. It’s hugely important to measure this so that we, and our clients, can truly understand the positive impact that our investments and ongoing active engagement is having.”
By 2025, BMO will mobilise CAD$400 billion for sustainable finance, increase support for small businesses and women entrepreneurs, and commit to zero barriers to inclusion.
Additional impact reporting highlights for the BMO Responsible Global Emerging Market Equity Strategy in 2018 include:
- Carbon intensity in the portfolio is 83% below the MSCI World benchmark;
- Average water use is 67% below the benchmark;
- Average representation of women on boards within holdings is 20%;
- Investee companies reach over 70 million people through access to finance programmes; and
- 30 companies engaged with in 2018.